Sunday, August 19, 2007

Unity of Titans...


As of late I have been encouraged. Encouraged by members of a church who bring about a sense of urgency and dedication to the true Word of God. But with this encouragement I see unity. Unity is a key characteristic in the Christian faith because it provides stability and a fallback to people who stray from the group
Whenever I think of unity I think of the movie Remember the Titans. If you haven't seen the movie, well you should, but moreover it's about a football team that must come together at a time in the United States where segregation of schools is just ending and the culmination of black and white schools is beginning. Attitudes of racism and superiority exist at the outset of this movie when the football players are just basically 2 teams: Blacks vs Whites. They were separate units that couldn't function as one. Now Denzel Washington is Coach Brown who is determined to bring this team together as a cohesive unit. He puts them through trials, scenarios, and activities that bring about out the tolerance of one another based on necessity to survive. One key point in this movie is when Denzel takes them to a open field near where they are practicing and says:

Coach Boone: This is where they fought the battle of Gettysburg. Fifty thousand men died right here on this field, fighting the same fight that we are still fighting among ourselves today. This green field right here, painted red, bubblin' with the blood of young boys. Smoke and hot lead pouring right through their bodies. Listen to their souls, men. I killed my brother with malice in my heart. Hatred destroyed my family. You listen, and you take a lesson from the dead. If we don't come together right now on this hallowed ground, we too will be destroyed, just like they were. I don't care if you like each other of not, but you will respect each other. And maybe... I don't know, maybe we'll learn to play this game like men.

After this amazing event happened, the team realized that it isn't about color, sex, or any other difference. Life is about unity with one another and to reach goals you must have it.
What this whole movie made me think of is that Christ driven believers must be encouraging to one another wherever we go if we wish to extend the kingdom of God. We must look past the downfalls of one another and stop criticizing each other and rather uplift each other in a fashion that says we all fall short of the glory of God but we are all faithful believers nonetheless. Unity provides an atmosphere of open communication where one can not be afraid to bring problems or ideas to a group in fear of being criticized, but can be brought with anticipation of growth.
I challenge you to go that extra mile with one another, write a little encouragement card to someone saying how much you appreciate them and who they are. You'd be surprised how much the little things matter to people. So as for everyone I met this summer I love you all. Love you in a way of graciousness like Paul did when he writes in Philippians 1:3-6 :

I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, the he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

If this gets to anyone or if anyone reads this then I'm glad. And if anyone wants to know more about the gospel I'm more than willing to talk about how my life was changed due to God's amazing grace and power. Just needed to extend my great appreciation to my brothers and sisters I met this summer. God bless

No comments: